With lockdown putting somewhat of a strain on every country, person & economy in the world, there are a few ways that you can keep yourself inspired while patiently waiting for the “OUT” to be available to us again. Dreaming about your next trip and then planning to make it happen could be a fantastic way to stay inspired during this time. Planning can be the most intimidating part about travelling so if you get that out of the way ahead of time you can save some admin and stress once the time comes to book your long-awaited trip knowing that all the details have been planned ahead of time & you are 100% ready to press GO!
Not sure where to start? Here are a few tips to start your planning journey:
1) Decide on where to go
Deciding on where to go can sometimes be the hardest part of planning your trip because there are so many amazing places to go. Here’s a few tips on helping you decide:
- Make a bucket list of places you want to see – creating a bucket list of places you want to see is always a good way to narrow down where you really want to go. Use this list as a canvas of your “dream trips” – don’t hold back! If you aren’t sure about how to do this maybe think about previous trips as inspiration for what you like and don’t like. Was it the beach or the wild? Perhaps you preferred a different type of meal or you enjoyed being indoors rather than outdoors. This will help guide your decision.
- From your destination list create a vision board, make a list on your computer, create a Pinterest board, whatever you do have at least 10 options
- Decide on how much you want to spend on your next trip
- Research when the best time is to visit your bucket list destinations
- Add in the average cost of each destination (include spending you will need as well and take into account the exchange rate)
- Based on your budget & the best time to visit your bucket list destinations you should be able to narrow down which trip makes sense to go on next.
Now that you’ve chosen your destination, if you don’t already have savings set aside for travel, you will need to decide & plan how you will make it happen. This leads to the next step:
2) Decide on whether you will use an agency or use the self booking option?
There are pro’s and con’s to each option. Here are the top 3 for each – you decide which works best for you:
Next you will need to decide on payment options & put things in place for that:
3) Payment options to consider
Based on your budget you will need to start thinking about how you will go about saving or paying for your trip
- If you are going as a group you will need to request the quotations from your agent be sent to all members travelling and then co-ordinate the payment (if you are the planner this task usually lands up with you) to ensure the booking is done and everyone is included
- If you are solo it’s much easier – secure your trip flight and then you can either pay off the holiday over the period left to secure the rest of the activities planned
- Pay upfront – pay for the full trip upfront
- Secure your booking with a deposit, some agencies have this option but normally if you secure your flight you can pay your accommodation & activities later
- You can choose agencies that allow you to save to travel – save with your destination in mind and then book when you have the full amount (Ask MyTrippa about this option!)
4) The Final Tip
Since we are not sure when exactly we will be allowed to travel again, keep looking at your Vision Board and keep the dream alive to stay inspired about your planned trip. Or maybe sharing your old memories of trips you have already taken, follow travel, photography or destination specific blogs and pages will keep you excited. Yours will soon follow! 😉
The internet is at your fingertips. Bring your travel goals to life. If you want to be on a secluded beach once you can travel, check out some of the destinations in Africa like Kenya, Tanzania or Mozambique or international gems like Bora Bora & the Philippines.
Travel is a beautiful way to spend your time, whether it’s on your own or with family. Whether work or play or even a retreat to reach a zen goal. If you need a bit more help deciding, get in touch with a personal assistant from My Trippa to help you book your trip today.